(NC) Choosing a quality home care services provider can be confusing and time consuming. But this important decision can help you avoid caregiver burnout, spend quality time with your elderly family, and ensure they maintain quality of life, dignity and independence.
Wondering what questions you should ask when deciding who will help care for your loved ones? This checklist is recommended by Bayshore HealthCare, an organization that provides a wide range of customized personal and community home care services across Canada.
Questions to ask the organization:
• What type of training has your staff received?
• How do you ensure the quality of your services?
• How do you evaluate your skills and abilities?
• Do you provide a personalized care plan, highlighting the specific duties the caregiver will perform?
• Will the caregiver be supervised by a nurse?
• Do you ensure that your staff are bonded, insured and professionally licensed or certified?
• Will you ensure the caregiver matches the patient’s needs, and provide a replacement if they do not?
Questions to ask the caregiver:
• Will you consult regularly with the patient’s doctor or family members regarding the care plan?
• Do you provide services and answer calls 24 hours a day, seven days a week?
• How long have you done this sort of work?
• Do you provide a complete list of the services you provide, as well as their prices?
• Will you assist in investigating funding options for care?
• Will you help with submitting claims to the insurance company?
• Do you provide all financial arrangements in writing?
• Do you pay CPP, EI and Workers’ Compensation for the staff that come to the home?
Find more information at www.bayshore.ca.